Thursday, April 9, 2015

'Edge Of Tomorrow' and Time Manipulation

A few nights ago I had the pleasure of watching a movie that came out last summer, "Edge of Tomorrow". Despite how underrated it was, it was fantastic. Just goes to show you, you can't go wrong with Tom Cruise and Exo-Suits. 
Basically, in this movie (that takes place in the not-so-distant future) the Earth has been in a five-year war with an alien race. The main character, William Cage, is an officer in the US military...for media relations. This guy has seen like no combat. Ever. Which makes for some funny moments when he gets thrust into an Exo-Suit. 

Anyway, I'm not reviewing this, just giving a synopsis. After being killed within minutes on a suicide mission, Cage wakes up...that morning. Yeah. Freaky. 
By killing one of the aliens, Cage harnessed the innate ability to reset the day. Cool, right? Sounds crazy, but watch the movie and it'll make sense.

Forced to live out the same day in an endless loop, Cage hones his abilities whilst growing closer to winning the war. Let's just say it's pretty insane.

Insanity aside, this movie got me thinking: Wouldn't it be cool to have the ability to manipulate time? Of course, this prospect is outlandish, but a cool concept. However, I think that the idea of having total control is overrated. I would settle for the ability to see four seconds into the future. 

"I walk down the street with a jovial look in my eye. I quickly duck back, narrowly dodging the bullet aimed at my cranium. Something like that would normally be viewed as impossible; but I saw it coming four seconds ago."

See? That would be awesome. You wouldn't necessarily "see" the future, lest you be existing in two parallel universes, but it would be more of a sixth-sense. 

So yeah. There's something for your brain to chew on. I hope you have a great day!

Best,
-Ryan     

No comments:

Post a Comment