Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Bee Hunting

As of late, I've taken up a rather strange hobby. Bee hunting. More specifically, carpenter bee hunting. Using an arsenal of weaponry, consisting of air-soft guns and plastic baseball bats (no really, those are the only weapons in said arsenal), I plink them out of the sky. It's quite enjoyable, no really, it is.

Now, I know what you're thinking right now, "Oh my gosh! This guy is sick and twisted! Only a monster would slaughter innocent insects!" Of course, you wouldn't think this if you fully grasped what a carpenter bee is. They're those big fat bees that annoy the snot out of you. They're those bees that burrow holes in various wooden structure, ranging from tree houses to swing sets. My killing of these vile creatures is perfectly justifiable.

For years I was deathly afraid of these bees. They're huge and intimidating. Even from many feet away you can hear the tell-tale humming. In my back-yard I have a standalone tree house referred to as "The Cabin". The carpenter bees have made this structure their home for many, many years now. Simply taking out the trash, or mowing the grass became a hostile mission.

That's when I went to a friends house, and he introduced me to the practical sport of hunting them. Just recently this year I took it upon myself to try it out. It proved to be very satisfying. On a cork-board I have a piece of paper with dates and tally marks telling how many "kills" we've gotten.

I say "we" because it's not a one man job. My brother is my trusty sidekick, we take turns firing upon the monsters and swinging at them with the bats. We've even adopted the name (wait for it...) the B-team *badumm tsss*.

About a week ago we had our initial hunting and killed about 9 of the insects, and throughout the week we've zinged a few here and there. But nothing compares to how many we killed last Sunday. A grand total of 12. Of course, we had an extra hunter. My brother-in-law was in town and helped with our offensive maneuver. I'm convinced we've broken the bee's morale, I haven't seen many since Sunday....

Anywho, I hope you enjoyed this rant. Stay tuned and expect more bee updates throughout the summer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment