Monday, April 28, 2014

The Little Ant That Couldn't

     The other day I was sitting outside on a concrete patio thing. I looked down and something caught my eye. A small ant was trudging along with a minuscule piece of mulch. Now, to an ant, that little piece of mulch could be super useful. It could be a support beam in a little ant mining tunnel, or it could be a dinner table. I also noticed that about a foot away was the ant's supposed ant-hill. Normally, I would have just watched as the ant moved on to his home, but sadly, the ant was having trouble. He was trying to escape a crevice from where two concrete slabs meet. I watched on as the ant would start the climb, then tumble down into the crevice. I watched this for what seemed like ages. I finally decided to be a good citizen and attempt to help him. I plucked up a small piece of grass, and started to scoop him out of his predicament. Unfortunately, I did more harm than good. The ant was sent sprawling and sprinted off with I don't know how many broken "bones". I took it upon myself to re-write this encounter into a first-person narrative. Enjoy.

      I scouted along the rough ground and searched for the valuable piece of material. Through a patch of brush I saw it. It sat like a king upon a throne. I shoved through the grass and entered into the canyon. I moved ever closer to the large beam of wood. I hefted it upon my shoulders and analyzed my surroundings. The hill was a good mile away, I would have to be swift. Even if I could get out of the canyon, I would have to avoid the watchful eyes of the giants.

     I pressed myself against the sheer stone walls and started the climb. One foot, than the other, one foot, than the other. The wind was knocked out of me as I fell for the first time. I tried this countless other times, to no avail. When all hope was lost, I looked up and saw something in the sky. A thin green sapling was slowly descending from above. It looked friendly, perhaps it would help me? No such luck. The green limb swept me off my feet. I could feel the pain of thousands of broken bones. I limped off as fast I could. I looked up at him as took pleasure in my failure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment