Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Story writing and spell-check

      So as of late I've been writing a story. And most stories written by me involve manly elements such as action and epicness. Like most amateur writers, I want to add a little depth to the characters. I can't just have a bunch of macho guys walking around that are unfeeling and have nothing driving them! So, to solve such an issue, you have to add in a touching moment or two. Well, if you know me personally, then you can probably assume that touching moments are not my cup of tea. And if you don't know me well, then...touching moments aren't my cup of tea.
     So for me, it's difficult to come up with a heart touching moment that makes you think, "Wow, now I get what drives this guy."
     And as for the story I'm writing, I meant for it to be a short story, but I got a little carried away. Right now it sits at a sound 15,663 word count. It's too long to be a short story, and too short to be a novel. So I've just invented a new word to describe such a story. A serangiffus. Sarengiffus: Ser-in-gif-us: A story that is too long to be a "short" story, and too short to be a novel. Just you watch, that will be in the dictionary some day.

     Boy, spell-check does not like the word serangiffus. Spell check is so amazingly annoying. You have those moments where you're on a roll of typing, then you misspell something. Then you have to take your hands off the keyboard, move the mouse with precision to the exact word that was misspelled, and right click it, then hit the right word. Then you have to get back into the groove of typing again.
     What's even worse is when you consciously don't know how to spell a word, then you type (how you think it's spelled) into the program, hoping that it will fix it for you. You right click your butchered word to find that spell-check is like, "Sorry dude, I got nothing." You then rage, minimize the program, check Facebook, then bring the program back up and start the cycle over. It's a beautiful thing.
     And then, you have the two opposing factions of the internet. There are the Mis-Spellers, and the Grammar Nazis. These two factions have been fighting on youtube comments sections, and Facebook ever since the birth of these. There are some people on the internet that must think the red and green lines under their sentences mean, "Good Job! Keep it up! You're doing great!" There's a bit of irony in this post, however. There's bound to be multiple grammar mistakes within. But don't worry, the Grammar Nazis will tell me. ;)    

No comments:

Post a Comment